It took me a really, really long time to get here. Vienna>Paris>Washington>New York.
Some random and incomplete notes from the journey:
- Paris Charles de Gaulles Airport is like a very busy provincial train station, but less organised.
- I can still order champagne, nuts and fish in French (no double entendre intended).
- The A380 inside is nothing special. From the outside it’s impressive. Best innovation: There are three outside cameras (tail, nose and on the side) so you can watch the airplane from outside on the screen in front of you.
- Over the big pond everything is bigger. The cars, the distances and the people.
- Cheapest way to get from Washington to New York seems to be Chinatown, D.C. to Chinatown, NYC by bus.
- There are no baggage lockers since 9/11 (according to the AMTRAK information desk at Penn Station).
New York stories and impressions following in other posts.